Skin affected by dermatitis may blister, drain, form a crust, or become scaly. Examples of dermatitis include atopic dermatitis (eczema), dandruff, and skin eruptions caused by contact with various substances, such as poison ivy, soaps, and nickel jewelry.
Dermatitis is a common condition that is not contagious, but can make you feel uncomfortable and inhibited. A combination of self-care steps and medications can help treat dermatitis.
Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
The red skin eruption may burn, itch, or sting. Blisters may appear.
Various conditions, allergies, genetic characteristics and irritants can cause different types of dermatitis:
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema). This type of dermatitis is probably related to several factors, including dry skin, genetic variation, immune system dysfunction, the presence of bacteria on the skin, and environmental conditions.
- Contact dermatitis. This condition occurs as a result of direct contact with various skin-irritants or allergens, such as poison ivy, nickel-containing jewelry, cleaning products, perfumes, cosmetic products, and even preservatives in creams and lotions.
- Seborrheic dermatitis. This condition can be caused by a yeast (fungus) in the oil on the skin.
Many alternative therapies, including those mentioned below, have helped some patients treat dermatitis. However, the evidence for their effectiveness is inconclusive.
- Dietary supplements, such as vitamin D and probiotics, for atopic dermatitis
- Brown rice broth (applied on the skin) against atopic dermatitis
- Tea tree oil, alone or added to shampoo, against seborrheic dermatitis
- Fish oil supplements against seborrheic dermatitis
- Aloe vera against seborrheic dermatitis.
Vitamin B: It is important for protein metabolism. Helps the formation of red blood cells and the maintenance of the central nervous system.
Vitamin B6: It is a water-soluble vitamin that can be found in three main chemical forms: pyridoxine, pyridoxal and pyridoxamine. It performs a wide variety of functions in the body and is essential for good health.
Vitamin B12: It is a nutrient that helps maintain healthy neurons and blood cells.